The Climate Action Incentive has moved from a refundable tax credit to a tax-free quarterly payment beginning July 2022.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible, you must be a resident of Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, or Ontario on the first day of the payment month and the last day of the previous month, and meet at least one of these conditions during the same period:
- You are 19 years of age or older,
- You have or previously had a spouse or common-law partner,
- You are a parent and live with your child,
- You were a parent and previously lived with your child
Do you have an eligible child?
You have an eligible child if all the following conditions are met at the beginning of the payment month:
- Your child is under 19 years of age,
- Your child lives with you,
- You are primarily responsible for the care and upbringing of your child, and
- Your child is registered for the Canada child benefit
If you are eligible for the Canada child benefit, a credit for each eligible child will be included in the calculation of the new benefit.
Do you need to apply?
No, CRA will determine eligibility when you file your income tax and benefit return.
How much will I receive and when?
Amounts are dependent on your family situation and the province you live in. If you are entitled, you will receive them on the 15th of April, July, October, and January.