The Audit Manager will be responsible for overseeing audits at Fulcrum Group. This role will work with a mixture of not-for-profits and other businesses looking to assess their internal controls, risk management, processes used in financial reporting, quality assurance in procedures, and meeting funder or regulatory regulations.
Using your knowledge and skill-set in auditing, you will bring a well-seasoned background of experiences to this role and will be able to jump in immediately to files that await your skills. Our team is built on a solid foundation of trust, hard work, and a fun work environment. Offices are spacious, work from home options are available when required, and we provide an environment of little turnover-leading to strong client and teammate relationships.
Reporting to the Principals of Fulcrum Group, this role will provide current and correct accounting practices with a high concentration in audits.
Duties and Responsibilities of the position:
- Provide expertise in planning and executing audits from start to finish based on the established audit plans in alignment with applicable policies and regulatory guidelines in a timely fashion.
- Develop and support the audit opinion as per internal controls and professional audit standards to present the findings and recommendations to the client and audit management.
- Manage follow-ups on new findings raised from regulatory and internal divisional audits to ensure all data is up-to-date and properly documented.
- Review and identify failures in internal processes and recommend improvements to enhance operational efficiencies.
- Stay knowledgeable about emerging trends and developments related to business, analytical tools, and techniques to deliver quality results within tight timeframes.
- Act with the highest levels of integrity while always observing regulatory guidelines, fulfilling your due diligence, and handling confidential information with discretion.
- Review (and amend as necessary) all Audit, Review, or Compilation Engagement documents to be issued to the client, including working papers, financial statements, planning documents, notes, attached schedules, management letters, and tax returns.
- Provide constructive criticism of working papers for Audit, Review, or Compilation Engagements and offer guidance and direction to staff working on the file.
- Actively engage in networking opportunities with referral sources and business development with potential and existing clients.
- Attend the final meeting with the client and contribute toward discussions as required.
- Develop insightful discussion points contributing to audit reports that provide a fair and balanced assessment of governance, risk, and control processes based on audit work performed. Deliverables must be objective, clear, concise, and timely.
- Synthesize data and convey complex problems and concepts in simple and succinct terms for various audiences; ability to effectively challenge, articulate, and defend a position.
- Determine the impact of changing strategies, tactics, risks, and initiatives on audit, advisory and investigative services.
- Maintain working knowledge of the industry, regulatory, broad economic environment, and internal environment, as to the development of new strategies and plans, opportunities, and risk, to understand the control environment.
- Ensures that all audit procedures executed are conducted following applicable auditing standards as confirmed by its Quality Assurance program and regulatory examination results, including maintaining the independence of the audit practice.
- Provide input into audit processes identifying opportunities to simplify and create efficiencies.
- Delegate file sections to junior staff members based on their knowledge, experience, and capabilities and ensure that staff are properly supervised during the completion of each procedure.
- Ability to manage the planning & execution of audit assignments- Identify and fully understand the key operational processes, inherent risks, and the control environment. Plan and participate in risk-based audit activities, assess relevant processes and controls, and provide an independent opinion on their design and operating effectiveness.
- Audit reporting – Identify business control weaknesses and objectively assess the severity and materiality of the issues and their potential impact. Work with business management to develop action plans based on realistic and workable solutions to mitigate the risk and exposure in the long term.
- Regular communication with the management team as well as clients.
- Canadian CPA designation or international equivalent.
- 5 + years of post-graduate work experience.
- Knowledge of accounting standards, including but not limited to ASPE and ASNPO.
- Hands-on knowledge of MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access, and Outlook) and Internet applications.
- Deep knowledge and technical proficiency gained through extensive education and business experience.
- Verbal & written communication skills – Strong.
- Collaboration & team skills – Strong.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills – Strong.
- Data-driven decision-making – Strong.
- Drive to continuously learn from experiences and seek out feedback and development opportunities.
- Proven ability to sustain a high level of drive, enthusiasm, and a positive attitude when handling work pressures.